2020 New Year's Resolution: Illinois State Parks
I set outlandish and extensive new year’s resolutions every year. I think the first year I really buckled down and set them there were 30. How many did I make that year? Zero. I do this annually--set 1000 goals, achieve none. These aren’t fluff goals, either. They’re never “be healthier”, “drink less”, “practice self care”. They’re read 30 books, take my own to-go containers to restaurants, volunteer 100 hours--structured goals with a plan. Now, as years have passed, I have come to understand that the likelihood of me actually accomplishing any or sticking to my plan is slim. I like to set them anyway. I grow and change and set intentions. I’m proud of the changes I’ve made in my life. I can confidently say that I eat plant based/vegan and will never look back. I consistently use reusable bags when I go to the grocery store. I’m in the best shape of my life. These were all new years resolutions as some point. They may not have been attained in the year I made them, but, again, every year I grow and change and set intentions and make progress.
This year I do genuinely want to achieve my goal. Yes, you read that right, “GOAL”--singular. I’m only setting one. I want to visit all of the state parks in Illinois in 2020. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure how many that is just yet. Each website I check seems to say something a little different, but it’s somewhere between 55 and 70. That’s over one park per week.
| A quick trip to Kickapoo State Park in 2019 with Kojak |
To be fair, this goal will force me into a lot of goals throughout the year. I'm assuming I'll be pushed out of my comfort zone every once in a while. I’ll obviously be outside more. I’ll get to spend time doing fun things with my friends and family on the weekends outside of meeting up for food or at a bar. In fact, alcohol consumption will have to be cut down to almost none if I’m going to be on the move so often and so early on the weekends. I’ll be getting more exercise, too. Plus, I’ll be able to practice being a better steward of the earth by picking up some garbage along the way!
This brings me to what actually qualifies as a park visit. I have a lot of ideas here, but I have a feeling that if I’m too structured, I may fall off. I’ll probably choose a mixture of the following
Pick up trash at each state park.
Take at least one photo at each park.--This way I can make a photo book at the end.
Post on instagram. This way others can hold me accountable and follow along.
Bring a friend. I’m guessing there will be solo trips but park visits are a great opportunity to spend time with people I care about!
I also had some thoughts about keeping a blog, but that seems like a huge undertaking. Maybe a post or two here and there?
Some parks could end up being eating lunch in the middle of a work day by myself, but I’m going to try to keep this pretty minimal. However, there are a few parks that don’t have much to offer for hiking.
Pick up trash at each state park.
Take at least one photo at each park.--This way I can make a photo book at the end.
Post on instagram. This way others can hold me accountable and follow along.
Bring a friend. I’m guessing there will be solo trips but park visits are a great opportunity to spend time with people I care about!
I also had some thoughts about keeping a blog, but that seems like a huge undertaking. Maybe a post or two here and there?
Some parks could end up being eating lunch in the middle of a work day by myself, but I’m going to try to keep this pretty minimal. However, there are a few parks that don’t have much to offer for hiking.
If you have any ideas, please let me know! I’d also love to meet up with lots of folks along the way!


Comments
Post a Comment